Festival of Donation “or” Khichdi “
– In Bihar, the Makar Sankranti festival is known as Khichdi. On this day, donating urad, rice, gold, woollen clothes, blankets, etc. have their own importance.
– In Maharashtra, all married women donate cotton, oil, and salt to other suhagin or married women on their first Sankrant.
– In Bengal, there is a tradition of donating til after taking bath on Makar Sankrant. A huge fair is also organised every year in Gangasagar.
– Pongal: On the occasion of Makar Sankranti in Tamil Nadu, this festival is celebrated as Pongal for four days.
– Kite Festival: In Gujarat, the kite festival is organized on the occasion of Makar Sankranti.